CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

30 May 2006

insanity caused by a lack of planning...

So this weekend was interesting. The plan was to pack everything we needed into our packs and hike and camp the Lake Superior Trail Saturday and Sunday this weekend. I knew I was crazy to go on a trip with 3 guys, but I didn't know what to expect either. Well this is how it ACTUALLY worked out. Saturday we didn't get on the trail until about 3:30 because we had to figure out where to park, what permits we needed, etc. This should have clued me into the fact that no one had planned anything for the trip (I wasn't involved in the planning because this was my virgin hiking trip). So Bis and I walked all over trying to find the trail head while Mark and Jeremy went to drop a car off where we were going to end the trip. We didn't find a trail head. So after some debate we decided to just hike out of Goosberry State Park and leave the car there. We hiked about 7 miles to where there were *supposedly* a bunch of campsites. There weren't any...and the ones for the Split Rock State Park (which was where we had hiked into) were all full. We also realized that the hike for Sunday, which we thought would be 12 miles, was really 25. That wasn't going to happen. So since we couldn't find a place to sleep Mark and Bis walked 5.4 miles to get the car while Jeremy and I waited by the side of the road with all of our gear. By the time they picked us up it was 10:30 and I was cold, tired, and starting to get stiff. After driving around we FINALLY found a hotel to stay at that wasn't too expensive and we crashed. Sunday we got up and drove to Tettaguche State Park to try and secure a campsite for the night because I WAS NOT going to go through the same thing we had the night before. We were in luck, the had one and we ended up hiking part of the Superior Hiking Trail and some of the trails in the state park. Bis didn't go with us on the Sunday hike so he went into town and secured us some supper and 3/2 beer. (For all of you non-Minnesotans the only alcohol you can buy on Sunday outside of a bar is 3/2 beer, it's not very good). But I must say after a weekend with 3 guys I'm tired of hearing bodily functions, conversations about who they've slept with (Mark was smart and only contributed to his friends' stories and didn't share his own), and other *guy* talk. I was very thankful that Shanon and Nate came with us to watch the Pistons lose (sigh) last night so I had a girl to chat with. All in all it was an eventful weekend.

For any of you who have never visited Northern Minnesota I highly suggest it. The area is beautiful if you like being outdoors. Let me know if you ever want to come explore!!!

4 comments:

alanna rose said...

ok - what is a 3/2 beer? you can buy it on Sunday = good, but what makes it 3/2, is it a special brand?

Stephie said...

leave it to boys to have no idea how to plan anything ;)

randi said...

3/2 beer (actually it's written 3.2, but who cares!) is alcohol that has 4% alcohol by volume and 3.2% alcohol by weight. Most of the light beers are around 4.2% by volume and they go up from there. You can only get this kind of beer in grocery stores and gas stations. It's not that great, but it's better than nothing when you don't have any!

Lesley said...

I'd love to come up and go exploring, as long as the girls have some say in planning so we have a place to sleep!