CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

06 June 2006

punishing the little guy...

So I have really bad allergies. They were so bad when I was younger that I spent 7 years getting allergy shots to help make them more manageable. The shots worked. In the past I couldn't be outside when someone was mowing the lawn because my eyes would puff up so much that the whites would actually close over the colored part and I would cough, sneeze, etc. constantly. (Kinda scarey the first time it happens). I'm also allergic to various trees, dogs, cats, dust, and A LOT of other things. Well, since I stopped taking allergy shots in the summer of 2002 I haven't been back to the allergist and have been trying to manage them on my own with over the counter allergy pills. Especially since the allergy pill I was on could cause liver damage if taken long term and in the late spring, early summer I need to take them daily or else I'm miserable. OK so that's my background with the situation. Now on to why I'm pissed. I ran out of allergy pills yesterday and was too lazy to go pick any up last night. So I wasn't a very happy camper this morning (I know it's my own fault). So I suffered through my morning at work and headed to Target at lunch to buy some more Claritin D 24-hour, which is god's gift to me. :) I knew that the laws had changed since I purchased allergy pills last year, but I thought it was just that you had to bring the card up to the pharmacy and you could get however many packs you needed. WRONG!! You can only purchase 3g of pseudoephedrine (the drug in many allergy and cold and sinus pills) PER DAY. So that means I can only purchase one 10 pill package of Claritin each day. That sucks... So I got back to work and tried to do a little research as to why. It turns out that druggies are using these OTC medications to make meth. Check out this link. So now I have to make more trips to the store because they decided to use the medication that helps so many people to do bad things. It reminds me of group punishment when you were in grade school...one person does something bad and the others get punished. GGGGRRRR.....

6 comments:

alanna rose said...

We have a huge meth problem in Indiana, the first time you see someone mixing chemicals in the trunk of their car outside of WalMart is insane. But watching the cops come in and arrest the loser makes you feel a little better.

Why would you do meth anyway - it crystalizes under your skin - oh, yeah, that's attractive, so is losing all of your teeth. Some people are just stupid.

Crystal said...

Alanna, you're too funny.

I was just going to sympathize with you, Midget. When I was in 7th grade I had allergy shots on each arm once a week. And those things HURT. It's like getting a tetanis shot every week. But at least I can go outside when someone's mowing the lawn, so I guess they helped.

I was at Sam's club and bought a package of generic Claritin pills. I got 300 pills for about $15. It was awesome! You guys must have different laws in MN.

Lesley said...

I had a cold about a month ago and went to the store to pick up cold medicine. All the "good" cold meds with the stuff in them were behind the counter. It sucks not being able to look at packages and shop around I never know what I want.
Stupid druggies! I guess that is redundant but whatever.

oooh, found some good stuff onthe web, they have a replacement for pseudoephedrine which cannot be converted to Meth, but they are too cheap to bring it to market.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/meth/interviews/suo.html

AJ said...

The allergy medicine that they use instead of pseuodoephedrine sucks! It doesn't work at all. I used to by sudafed generic brands at the dollar store it was great!

In MI I know we can buy 2 packages at a time.

I hear you on the allergies, I used to take benadryl religiously, until my mom told me I was taking enough to kill a 300 pound man!

I passed the wonderful trait of allergies down to Ava too, she thanks me for it:)

Erika said...

I have the same problem... what you do is you can get generic Loratidine (generic for Claritin, just doesn't have the pseudophedrine) and it works very well as a supplementary. I take one every day since I'm allergic to anything that grows.
It's really cheap, and it works for me.
Another trick (and I'm sure regular meth users do this too) is to go to several different drug stores. Walgreens, Target and Cub, etc.

JJ said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.