Friday night was really relaxing. I hung out at home, made some dinner and then when Vickie got home we watched the first three epsiodes of Season 1 of Sex and the City! We briefly thought about going to see the movie, but didn't want to fight the crowds. :)
Saturday morning Mark came down for the day/night. We went and looked at a new/used car that he found on Craig's list that he ended up buying. He's been looking around for awhile trying to find something reasonably priced that gets better gas mileage than his truck. We don't know for sure yet what kind gas mileage it will get, but it'll almost definitely be better than 14!! It's a black 1997 Honda Civic with a sunroof. It's in really good condition and he only HAS to fix one thing on it. The fan on the passenger side of the car makes this really annoying noise every once in awhile. I've never heard anything like it! After lunch outside at Famous Dave's we headed back home. We did some lawn work and hung out until Vickie got home. After waiting out a thunderstorm/tornado warning we all went to Home Dep0t followed by dinner and the Red Wings game at Buffalo Wild Wings and drinks at the White Bear Bar. It was a really fun night!
Sunday we got up and Mark took off early to go meet a guy to do some flying. Vickie invited me to come with her and a couple of the other P0laris interns for a day on the lake. We waterskiied, tubed, and jet skied all day. It was all sorts of fun until Vickie cracked her head open and we had to go the ER. It was one of those super weird accidents where she was double-tubing with two people on each tube and somehow the tubes collided and one tube caused theirs to flip. Somewhere in there her head collided with another girls knee/foot and she got a pretty deep cut right above her eyebrow. So we left and drove to the ER where we stayed for the next 3 hours and 45 minutes.
A little rant about the ER...
When we got there it was kind of busy so Vickie registered and we went to sit in the waiting room. After about an hour they called her name and brought her back to get her vitals and sent her back to wait some more. After about another hour we noticed that people who had gotten there well after us were being taken back to see the doctor so Vickie went up to inquire what was going on. It turns out that the nurse came into the waiting room and called her name 3 different times, but she didn't respond. Hhhmmm... we had both been sitting there the entire time. We didn't even get up to go to the bathroom and neither one of us heard it. I call BS on that one. So after the nurse who *supposedly* called her name came out and told us that she had and then went back with out taking Vickie with her, we waited for another 45 minutes or so before she was finally seen. Now, I'm not a mother (I know you're all shocked), but there were a lot of kids in there yesterday who didn't seem to have anything wrong with them...at least not anything that couldn't wait until 8 the next morning to see their primary physician. It was just weird to see all of these kids playing just like nothing was wrong and then their parents are taking them back to see the doctor. And it's not just the kids either. There were like 3 adults there that appeared perfectly healthy and fine, but were waiting to be seen. Am I missing something? Feel free to clue me in, because I must be missing something.
***rant done
So after Vickie finally got her 5 stitches we were both STARVING. We went home and found whatever we could in the fridge to eat and had dinner at 10:00 at night. Overall it was a fairly eventful day. Even with the injury it was an awesome day. It felt so good to be on the water!!!
02 June 2008
oh what a weekend!
Posted by randi at 1:18 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
One word, Medicare. It's what our tax money goes to. People who abuse the system take their kids to the ER instead of waiting to go to the doctor becuase it doesn't cost them anything either way. What do they care? It happens in all communities, it's sad really. It's one of the millions of reasons I wish they'd put stronger regulations on govn't assistance.
I've gone to the ER twice with Carter - once for pink eye... and that was only because I tried for 3 hours unsuccessfully to get an after hours doc appt and I wanted to get him the antibiotics so he could go to school the next day. The second was for a fever of 105, but I had him so dosed up with both Tylenol and Advil by the time we got there, he seemed kind of normal and was playing and stuff. I guess you never know why..... but 3.45 seems long for a bleeding head injury.......
I have taken Justin in before when it possibly could have waited, but when both parents work and he's sick it's easier to take him on a Sunday when we can both go rather than one of us taking time off of work. Plus, if they need meds, it's better to get them started sooner rather than later! One time he would have seemed fine to an onlooker, but he really had a high temperature and his ear was having troubles.... I see what you mean, but sometimes it's a convienience factor with working parents and/or worried first time mothers!
I've been to the ER 3 times, all of which I probably appeared fine to everyone but was forced to go there by urgent care because they didn't have the right equipment to deal with my problem or by a nurse hotline. So you can't tell how urgent something is just by looking at the person. I find the wait times ridiculous too but I suppose they don't have to be concerned with customer service because the ER is not a place you choose to be. :)
Post a Comment