There’s a case being heard in the US Supreme Court right now that challenges Washington DC’s ban on hand gun ownership and restrictions on how guns can be kept in the home (ie shotguns, rifles, etc must be kept unloaded and locked in a gun case). I heard about this on Good Morning America this morning as I was getting ready for work. The mayor was quoted as saying that by allowing individuals to own hand guns in the city it would make it a more dangerous place. I’d like to see the research that he’s done to support that claim. On the other side, the defendant in the case was quoted saying that criminals are allowed to have guns, but individuals have no means of protecting themselves if they choose. They were saying this morning that depending on how the Supreme Court decides this case, it could have implications throughout the country. For example, if they uphold the ban then cities throughout the country may feel like they now have "permission" to impose stricter gun bans.
Now you all know that I am a handgun owner and I've thought of getting my Carry permit so that I can legally carry my gun loaded when we go out shooting in the woods. It is in a safe place in my house where I could access it if someone were to break into the house. That makes me feel safer when I'm all alone. I respect everyone's views on guns and whether or not they choose to have them in their home. What I don't like is when someone tries to tell me what I can and cannot do to protect myself.
Anyway, the article is linked below. I’m curious to hear what you think after reading it.
http://abcnews.go.com/TheLaw/WireStory?id=4470365&page=1
18 March 2008
the right to bear arms...
Posted by randi at 12:43 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
I didn't read the article, but my take on it is that people should be able to protect themselves. I personally have never shot a gun in my life and I don't own one, but I think that everyone has that right. The only issue I see are the irresponsible parents who leave guns loaded not locked up in the house with small children. I know this is a very small percentage, but kids don't understand what it is and that it can kill people....
Post a Comment