CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

02 January 2008

oh what a weekend (or 5 days rather)...

I guess it's time to play catch up. Christmas went well. I left to go up north the Friday before Christmas and was there until Wednesday morning. I was home from Wednesday morning to Thursday late afternoon (less than 48 hours) and then headed back up north for another long weekend.

Here are some highlights.

We got a bunch of snow the weekend before Christmas so Mark and I spent time in the garage working on his dad's four wheeler and his snowmobile. Then when it stopped snowing and we'd finished the four wheeler he went outside to plow and I took his dad's wheeler for a ride around town. :) There was probably 6 inches of snow on the ground and they hadn't started plowing yet so I drove all over the place. After a short drive I went back to pick up Otis (Mark's parents dog) and he got on the back and we left again. Unforunately this time I got stuck. I drove out of the unplowed stuff onto a plowed road by accident and when I tried to get back onto an unplowed road I didn't make it. Luckily Mark's dad had a feeling I might get stuck and came out looking for me. He pushed me out and Otis and I continued on our merry way. It was a little chilly, but lots of fun. Too bad the four wheeler drives better in the snow than my car.

Friday morning we (Mark, Clyde, and I) drove to Ironwood to ski Indianhead for the day. The lift ticket for half a day was $38 which I thought was slightly high considering the size of the hill and the fact that they closed at 4, but we had a good time skiing.

Friday night we drove to Houghton and checked into our hotel right across from the Ambo...a stone's throw from the DT! Dinner and drinks happened at the DT. Let's just say some of the night is a little blurry. A day of skiing, little food, and starting to drink before eating dinner = trouble!! It was fun though. I ran into a couple people I went to school with so it was nice to catch up. Oh and guess what!?!?!? The DT has windows now. It's part of the grant the town got to spruce up the downtown area and it looks really nice, but it was kind of a shock.

Saturday I drug my little hungover butt out of bed and we went to Victoria's Kitchen for breakfast #1. It's our favorite place in Houghton and we're friends with the owner. :) After breakfast we went snowshoeing up at the Douglass Falls. It was a beautiful day and we spent the afternoon climbing and sliding down hills on our snowshoes. I have some pictures that I'll upload if I ever stop being lazy. :)

Saturday evening Bis, McConnell, and Jay met us and we went for dinner at the DT again. My tummy couldn't really handle any alcohol so I sipped water and soda and watched those guys drink themselves silly. It was pretty entertaining.

Sunday we got up for breafast #2 at Vickie's. Again, it was amazing. Sunday afternoon we went up to Cliff Drive so Mark and Clyde could break out the snowmobiles and the rest of us walked around on our snowshoes. It was one of those really gorgeous winter days. The sun was shining and the snow was glittering. Simply beautiful. After we got done we stopped at a little hole in the wall bar to have a drink then headed back to town. Sunday was dinner at the Ambo. Since I can't eat pizza (and the Tostada is my favorite) I decided to try out the taco salad since it has pretty much all the same ingredients as the pizza. It wasn't quite as satisfying as the pizza, but it was tasty. I also had a fishbowl. You know how I can tell I'm getting old?? I had one fishbowl and felt a little loopy. I used to be able to drink three of those things and they're even smaller now!!! We wandered around to the bars some more and were in bed kind of early.

Monday we got up for breakfast #3 at Vickies, sadly the last one, bought some pasties from her and headed to Marquette to ski at Marquette Mountain. After another day in the slopes and some time at the T-Bar we headed to our hotel to get ready for a night out on the town. The rest of the evening was spent eating first and then drinking at the Upfront. We rang in 2008 with about 12 of our friends, it was really fun. We ended up staying out until 3 and would have probably stayed longer if Clyde hadn't gotten into a fight and then almost fell asleep at the bar. The amazing thing is he didn't get kicked out for the fight, but did for falling asleep. Mark walked him to the hotel and Bis, Jay and I finished our drinks and then stopped at a little stand for some hot dogs. :) It was a really good night.

Yesterday we headed for home. It took about 6 hours to get to Cloquet and then another 2ish for me to get home. Considering I didn't sleep a lot the night before it was a long day. I unpacked the car in the freezing cold, put my stuff away, and crashed on the couch.

I'll post pictures from our outdoor adventures when I get a chance. I don't have any bar pictures because I only brought my DSLR with and didn't want to take that out on the town.

Tonight I'm headed out to dinner with Shanon at my favorite restaurant Buffalo Wild Wings. After tonight I have to start eating better. I've been eating like crap for the last 2 weeks and I can tell it's catching up with me. I just feel kind of icky. I haven't made any New Year's resolutions and I'm not sure if I will. I guess I'll have to think about it. I hope everyone had a safe and happy new year.

6 comments:

h said...

Indianhead is actually in Wakefield - I used to sell lift tickets there! :) I can't believe that's how much their half day tickets cost now! Insane. You should have gone to Blackjack - we may have seen each other!

Sounds like you had a great holiday playing in the snow.

AJ said...

I hear ya' on the eating. I had to buy lunch today since I was running late and didn't pack one. The only thing that sounded good was salad....too much crap in the last 2 weeks!

Erin Byrge said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Erin Byrge said...

Happy New Year! Hope you had fun in the snow :)

Diana said...

I miss Houghton! Jason and I are going up for DSP 60th reunion over the 4th. Alanna and Jocko are going too. Maybe we should get a bunch of AGD's up that weekend!!

Where is Victoria's Kitchen? I would like to try it when we're up there.

alanna rose said...

Sounds like too much fun :)

I have to ask - when they remodeled the DT, did they get rid of the awesome mirror/Christmas light "art" that was in the wall between the two bathrooms?