Last night Mark and I decided to go out to dinner because neither of us wanted to cook. So we headed to the local Applebees for a quick dinner. We went and sat in the bar and I noticed that they have a yummy looking new martini on their menu so I thought I would give it a try. We placed our orders (neither of us got carded which I thought was weird) and then a couple minutes later our actual waiter came over and asked to see our ID's. So now if you all remember I lost my driver's license, but luckily for me I have a passport so I've been using that to prove that I'm an adult. :) After looking at my passport the waiter informed me that a passport is not a valid form of identification and I must have a driver's license. After Mark argued with him, he still WOULD NOT serve me when I was producing a federally issued ID. So I guess I can cross borders, and produce that as the only form of identification an employer needs to prove it's me, but I can't get a drink at Applebee's. Needless to say we left because we were pissed and as we were walking out the waiter has the nerve to say "Well, you guys can argue with the federal government if you want." GGGGRRR... We did end up getting dinner (and free adult beverages) at another bar (for those of you in the TC Majors has free drinks for ladies from 9-10).
Does anyone have any insight on this or knowledge that might help me in my letter writing??
25 August 2006
i think i need to write a letter...
Posted by randi at 9:50 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

8 comments:
The same thing happened to me, I was in Ohio, and I think the hicks at the restaurant had no idea what a passport was.
I say vote with your feet and just don't frequent Applebees - the food isn't that good there, anyway.
http://www.nacsonline.com/NR/exeres/00002daajcpwltgfkyhcgdpl/GeneralUse_Resource.asp?NRMODE=Published&NRORIGINALURL=%2fNACS%2fResource%2fGovernment%2fstate_alcohol_laws_120102%2ehtm&NRNODEGUID=%7b0637E69D-AF39-4078-89B8-F7D5B9200083%7d&NRQUERYTERMINATOR=1&cookie%5Ftest=1
The above web site states the requirements for acceptable identification for purchasing alcohol. This was issued in 2002, but I couldn't find anything done in 2006. Anyways, a passport is acceptable.
I'd totally write Applebee's a letter/email. That was just rude. I could understand if you were using your Tech ID or something, but a passport??
Did you ever try to use your Tech ID to get into a br in Houghton? We're you surprised when it worked :)
I'm addicted to smiley faces today, hmmmm.
I'm having grammar/spelling issues - sorry.
Try the Applebee's website. They probably have a place to send a complaint email. That way it gets sent through corporate, and they call (and reprimand) the branch that you went too.
We had terrible service at a Bennigan's one time. I went through the corporate website and did that and ended up getting a gift card to make up for it.
Here's the link to compain to them:
http://www.applebees.com/GuestContact.aspx?t=Complaint
I can beat that - I was once refused alcohol at a TGI Fridays because I had an out of state license and they had "no way to verify it." And it wasn't in a tiny, hick town or anything - it was here in the D!
And, yes - write a letter! I think that restaurants like Applebee's make a huge profit on alcohol sales, so let them know you are thinking of not buying their fancy, expensive martinis ever again ;)
Ah - I agree with what everyone has been posting. Visit that website...I know for a fact your passport is acceptable...I just used it all over Europe! Write that letter...make it as polite as possible...oversight...lack of training...no way should reflect on the restaurant and add in that you think that because of it you had to move onto to another bar, not as good, would like some compensation for your slight disagreement ...get somehting free out of it!
Post a Comment